Re: Advice on aacraid, Dell 1U server

Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> I'm thinking of ordering a Dell PowerEdge 1550 1U rackmount server for
> the office to act as a backup server. The 1U form factor is important to
> us.
>
> For 2200 pounds one gets a Pentium III/133MHz 256K cache, 512Mb RAM,
> 108Gb 10,000rpm Ultra3 SCSI box with 3 years on-site service.
>
> For another approx 140 pounds we can get hardware raid, using aacraid
> v1.0.6.
>
> 3 questions:
> How much of the 108Gb are we likely to lose to RAIDing? (Presumably
> RAID5?)
Basicly, you will lose one hard drive to the RAID 5 parity data, so if
you have 10 drives of 10.8 GB each, you'll lose 10.8 GB. If you have 3
drives of 36GB each, you'll lose 36GB.

> Is aacraid reliable? We are using Mylex on the VALinux boxes.
I've been happy with the PERC3 Dell puts in the 2450 series boxes.
Others also appear to have been happy with the PERC3 and PERC2 cards.

> Any recommendations for this box, apart from the price?
Strongly consider getting the RAID card... It should increase
performance (depending on your application), and will definately
increase reliability. On the other hand if "backup server" means that
it's normally just sitting there waiting for a main server to die, you
may not be that concerned.

> Thanks for any help.
> Rory

-- Rich