RE: You don't exist. Go away.

This problem is pretty common with any kind of networking information
system.
Generally this occurrs when trying to do a name service lookup on a
numerical ID to find the username which corresponds to it and not getting an
answer back. This sort of thing can happen if:

1) /etc/passwd is modified to not include the given user when logged
2) You are using NIS. Then if NIS goes down and you are either
	a) not running nscd
	b) your entry has been flushed from the nscd cache
   while you are logged in.
3) Your are using LDAP. If you experience a lookup failure similar to above
4) Badly munged nsswitch.conf file

I don't recall whether you can get this by mucking up the PAM stack or not,
I'd have to test.

But, basically it emans your user is screwed up. Figure out why and fix him.