Re: starting dselect with predefined package list

Osamu Aoki, 2001-Nov-20 20:50 -0800:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 07:59:54PM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > basically.  You should only set selections on a fresh install.
> > Otherwise you have packages from set A the other machine is set B and
> > thus machine A gets the union of the set (i.e. more packages than B
> > and a chance at conflicting packages).
>
> True if you do it as described without pattern match.
>
> What about using 'dpkg --get-selections \* >> packages'
>
> Then you get all packages listed (non-installed packages as "purge")
> Thus you will get the exact same setting.  (someone mentioned on this
> list)  Bloating system can be avoided by this, I think.
>
> > The package list lists packages that have been removed but not purged,
> > on hold, set for purge but not purged, attempted to install and stuck,
> > as well as simply installed.  You should probably change all holds to
> > installs, purge the packages marked deinstalled, fix any half
> > installed packages and then save the output.
> I did not understand this.  Fixing half installed sounds good to me :-)

Thanks alot.  I look forward to testing this out.  And yes, this
is for installing a new system that will be a s/w duplicate, and
I figure this will shave a little time off the process.

thanks,
jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer