Re: CD Writer

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 02:43:54PM +0900, Howland, Curtis wrote:
> I would be interested to discuss things with someone who is using a CD
> writer under Debian.
>
> I don't need anything flashy, a USB connected device would be best from
> a convenience standpoint, but are there any non-obvious problems? Here
> in Japan, USB CD-RW drives are easy to get, but I would like to
> short-cut my search if there are a few Debian-friendly brands or types
> to specifically look for.

I have an Acer USB CD-RW drive, which works fine for me.  The USB mass
storage driver pretends USB drives are scsi drives, which seems to work
quite well.

> Yes, I'm running the 2.4.12 kernel.

I had a few problems with an older kernel (2.4.10), as there have been a
fair number of USB fixes recently.  I think 2.4.12 should be fine, although
you may need to move to a more recent kernel (I'm not sure).  Anyhow, my
guess would be that any USB drive you get will work.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/