Re: RealTek RTL8129/8139 Fast Ethernet driver for kernel 2.4.14

Bostjan Muller wrote:

> * On 20-11-01 at 10:40 Emil Pedersen (emil.pedersen@its.uu.se) wrote:
> +----Here quoted text begins----+
> [...]
> > I think it's important to be very precise what chip is used;  I've heard
> > lots of trouble with the chip '8139C' (note the trailing 'C') while I
> > use three cards based on '8139' (no C) for a long time without any
> > problem.
> How does one know which chip he has.. I have allied telesyn and some
> other noname card, that use the rtl8139 chips.. lspci says this:

The obvious answer is, look at the chip it should be printed, but that's
probably not what you wanted to hear;-)  'lspci' would probably have
reported it, but thats just my guess.
  Just for "fun" I tried to load the new "C"-specific driver with an old
(not C) card, and modprobe failed reporting something like "could not
find 8139C class chip" or similar (I can't check since I'm not on that
computer).  You can try that, if it does load it probably IS the new
chip.  Maybe.

> But I still get errors saying:
> eth0: Setting half-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 0000.
> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> eth0: Tx queue start entry 8616  dirty entry 8612.
> eth0:  Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
>   eth0:  Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
>   eth0:  Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
>   eth0:  Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
>   eth0: Setting half-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability
>   0000.

Can't help you on this.  Try the other driver (if still available) ?

// Emil