Can't read Debian CD-ROM: Siemens Xpert / Samsung ATAPI

I've tried to install Debian from CD-ROM, but my machine usually can't
read it.
- I can't boot from the CD-ROM.
- Installation starting with rescue+root diskettes usually tries and
  fails to mount the CD-ROM.
- Windows calls the Debian CDs "Audio CD" (apparently without any sound
  in them), but can read other CD-ROMS.

The machine:
    Siemens Xpert, 433MHz Celeron, Windows 98.
    Samsung SC-140B, ATAPI CDROM drive.
    Partitioned for dual Windows/Linux.

The CD-ROM itself is OK, at least a Solaris box can read it.

I did succeed in installing the base system once from the CD-ROM
(starting with boot+resuce diskettes), i.e. it read the base*.tar.gz
file or something, but when I tried to install other packages, it kept
complaining
  hdc: irq request: status=xD0 { Busy }
  hdc: ADAPI reset complete
  hdc: cdrom_decode_status: status=0x51 { Drive Reeady SeekComplete Error }
  hdc: cdrom_decode_status: errror=0x34
before it gave up.  (The same messages came a number of times during the
base install, but it succeeded in the end.)

--
Hallvard