Re: Print daemons

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 02:47:31PM -0800, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
| On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 10:41:37PM +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
| > I am going to be printing via Samba to a printer on my girlfriends
| > Windows 98 PC.  The printer is a Epson Stylus Color 740.  What daemons
| > is easy to configure, links with Samba and will allow me to customise
| > the properties of the printer (dpi, color/mono, quality, etc).
|
| I used to be an LPRng fan, but then I tried CUPS, and am a complete
| convert.  CUPS plus the stuff at www.linuxprinting.org made setting up
| my apartments Brother HL-1040 a breeze, and it plays well with Samba.

I too found CUPS to be easy to configure and use.  Without too much
difficulty I even managed to get it to use a custom script to strip
out the extra postscript junk windows puts at the bottom of the job (I
don't know why, but that junk appears with this driver combination,
regardless of local (on the win box) or remote (via my debian box)
destination).

HTH,
-D