Re: managing multiple machines

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 03:49:05PM -0800, nate wrote:
> hanasaki said:
> > Is there some way to have:
> >
> > - Machine is assigned a DHCP <random> IP
> > - Use the MAC to map to a hostname and then push the assigned IP
> > into  Bind with the hostname?
>
> i don't know how you'd use the MAC to map to a hostname. you
> can use it to map to an ip ..but how would you determine the
> hostname ?

    With a table.

    Look at dhcpd.conf, it does the same thing. You put the MAC, and the
    name of the machine (you can put the IP number, but we've always
    used the name). Then the machine makes a DNS lookup for that name
    and gets it's IP number.

> i personally like static ips. they work best for unix/linux.
> i have my isp assign me 8 ips. and at the office i have
> 2 routed /27 subnets 1 for each of my 2 t1s.

   You can use DHCP to assign static IPs, we did this for, at our peak,
   about 200 linux servers. It's nifty because you can make your
   start-up scripts que off of name for clustering, and dynamically
   re-assign hosts to clusters by simply changing the dhcpd.conf file
   and rebooting.

--
Share and Enjoy.