Problem with CUPS

Hello all,
I'm making the transition fromlpd to CUPS after hearing the rave
reviews on this list.  I have an HP Deskjet 1600C, and I have all
the necessary packages installed, and I can print just fine with the
cdj1600 driver that comes with cupsys-ppd.  The thing is, I thought it
would be a good idea (I have these ideas from time to time.  Bad, bad
brain) to give the stp version of this driver a try, as it allows for
better tuning of output and so forth.  When I first tried it I got a
printed piece of paper that said only "unknown device - stp" or
somesuch - I don't have one in front of me right now.  No problem -
the current gs from testing doesn't contain that driver. Install the
gs from sid, and there it is.  Now however, I get a printed piece of
paper that says only:
Error: /rangecheck in - -.ouputpage- -
					Operand stack:
						392.0 298.667 288.0

Offsets are deliberate, although not quite exact, but you get the
idea.  I looked through the
/usr/share/cups/model/HP/DeskJet_1600C-stp.ppd driver file, without
finding anything that looked like the culprit.  Have gone back to the
cdj1600 driver for now, but does anybody know a workaround?  I've
tried the autogenerated ppd from linuxprinting.org, with exactly the
same results.  It's not the end of the world, really, but I would lie
to be able to tone the print levels down for everyday stuff, and only
use the really nice quality that the printer's capable of when I need
to.

Running Woody on a P3, HP Deskjet 1600C via parport.
ii  cupsomatic-ppd 0.20010420-3   cups printer ppd's from LinuxPrinting.org
ii  cupsys         1.1.10-4       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii  cupsys-bsd     1.1.10-4       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD comman
ii  cupsys-client  1.1.10-4       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client pro
ii  cupsys-pstoras 1.1.10-4       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - pstoraster
ii  kdelibs3-cups  2.2.1-14       KDE print system (CUPS support)
ii  libcupsys2     1.1.10-4       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
ii  libcupsys2-dev 1.1.10-4       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - developmen
ii  gs             6.51-5         The Ghostscript Postscript interpreter
ii  gs-common      0.3.1          Common files for different Ghostscript relea
ii  gsfonts        6.0-2          Fonts for the ghostscript interpreter
ii  gsfonts-other  5.10-2.1       Additional fonts for the ghostscript interpr
ii  gsfonts-x11    0.14           Make Ghostscript fonts available to X11.

TIA,
Steve
--
You will lose an important disk file.