Re: Postgresql doubt ..

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 09:45:55PM +0530, shyamk@eth.net wrote:
> [shyam@home shyam]$ xhost +
> [shyam@home shyam]$ su postgres
> bash $createdb shyamdb
> psql.connectDBStart() ... connect() failed : Cannot respond
>      Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' & accepting connection on Unix socket
> '1234' ?
> createdb : database creation failed.
>
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Dear members ,
>    Can anybody please tell me what the above means , and how to circumvent it ?
>    I am actually sitting on postgresql for the first time ,
> and am startled .
>
> Please help ...
> (shyamk@eth.net)
> Shyam

//

hi,

here's all i did:

1.  # su postgres

2.  createuser <foo>

3.  createdb <foo>

4.  $ psql <data-base foo:  the "foo" for #3 above>

synopsis:

1:  to change to postres "administrator";

2:  to create "user"/non-root access (to the postgres
    "server");

3:  to create a database;

4:  to start a "console" session of postgresql.  (or,
    if you want a gui "frontend," try (apt-get install)
    pgaccess or gtksql.)

hth.

bentley taylor.

//