Re: managing multiple machines

David Wright said:

> I have also thought of trying to make the workstations diskless and
> using DHCP -- but then how can I give each machine a fixed name and
> IP address?

i can't give a good answer for the rest but this one is easy.
on my home network i tell dhcp to assign static ips via
MAC address:
host defiant {
  hardware ethernet 00:60:97:EF:DB:0B;
  fixed-address defiant.aphroland.org;
}

host aphro {
  hardware ethernet 00:90:27:9B:16:D6;
  fixed-address aphro.aphroland.org;
}

host shadow {
  hardware ethernet 00:50:04:E9:40:A6;
  fixed-address shadow.aphroland.org;
}

im not sure if fixed-address will take an IP or not, the
examples i saw all took hostnames so you may have to have
DNS setup .. it works though. assigns the same ip every time.
i take the machine to the office and i have my dhcp server
there setup to do the same..so i always get the same
ip.

nate