Re: corrupted partion table (data saved!)

-----Original Message-----
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 13:25:53 -0800
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: corrupted partion table

> on Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 06:02:40PM +0100, Carel Fellinger (cfelling@iae.nl) wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:34:02PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > fdisk *only* modifies the partition table.  It's not touching the data
> > > on it, so you can try combinations without fear.  I think (and have been
> > > through this, but if anyone knows differently, speak up).  Your next
> >
> > No no, it's not that simple:)  Each extended/logical partition has its
> > own partition table and some spare room at the beginning of its allocated
> > partition space.  So when one of your extended/logical partitions gets
> > mislocated it *will* overwrite sectors it shouldn't touch and quite
> > likely destroy some data.
>
> Thanks.  So I guess the message is:  nail the primaries first, then try
> dealing with the logical partitions.
>
> Peace.

I deleted the corrupted partion table and
recreated it using the printout. All linux partions are ok. I didn't try to save the ntfs partion because I only had debian on this machine before, and there was nothing to save.

Thanks for your suggestions, now I have to go setup some backup scripts.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup