make: no such command

Hi --

I've just installed Potato from floppy images and a local drive. I downloaded 2.2.26-2001-06-14 to my Win98 harddrive E, made the disk images using rawrite2, and the installation process found the base installation files in E. So far so good.

However, my PCI Netgear FA312 network card isn't being recognized correctly, so I can't access all of Debian. The driver it needs is natsemi.c, which I found, with instructions for how to build a module at http://www.scyld.com/expert/modules.html

The problem is that building a module requires a "make include" command and I don't seem to have whatever runs "make" -- a compiler, I take it (I'm new to linux). What is the compiler and how can I get it?

Are there more elegant solutions to my problem? I just need to install a driver I found. Ideally, I'd like it in the kernel, instead of the drivers I don't need.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Peter
<plantagenet@music.com>

Free ! Download the new Britney Spears' 'I'm A Slave 4 U'
directly from http://www.music.com