Re: Small-Text console Tweaks?

On 17 Nov 2001, Sean wrote:

> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt
>
> Also, you have to have framebuffer support compiled into your kernel.
>
> If you happen to have a matrox card, then you'll wanto look at:
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/matroxfb.txt instead.
>

> Sean
>
> On Sat, 2001-11-17 at 09:45, Rafe B. wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way to work in debian, outside of
> > X-windows, using a text layout other than that
> > awful, klunky 80-column x 25-row VGA arrangement?
> >
> > Eg., in DOS one could opt for smaller characters
> > using the 'mode' command, and achieve 50 lines x
> > 132 chars.
> >
> > Better yet would be a crude windowing system
> > that works entirely in text mode (eg., similar
> > to some pre-Win-3.1 tools from the mid 1980s.)

Hrm...  I think Rafe is looking for one supported by his video card.

Go edit your /etc/lilo.conf.  If there's an entry that says vga=normal,
change it to vga=ask.  From there, you can select the type of screen
configuration you want on boot.

After changing your lilo.conf, run /sbin/lilo again.  Make sure it
works, and reboot.

I also recommend looking at the lilo.conf(5) manpage.

Simon