Re: ext3 in 2.4.14, or 2.4.15 source package?

on Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 01:52:26AM -0800, Eric G. Miller (egm2@jps.net) wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:54:27 -0800
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for either an ext3fs patch to the 2.4.14 kernel sources (the
> > 2.4.13 patch errors out), or would like the 2.4.15 kernel sources, which
> > don't appear to be available yet -- any idea on when they're going to be
> > out for Sid?
>
> The ext3 patch was merged into 2.4.15pre2 (according to changelog).  It's
> up to 2.4.15pre5 last I saw.  So, you could try that, or wait for 2.4.15
> which probably won't be too long in coming. As far as I can tell 2.4.15
> is mostly a few smaller fixes and driver fixes/additions (apparently
> the loopback filesystem is fixed).  2.4.14 has been working pretty well
> for me so far ... YMMV.

I'll go this route.  I just built 2.4.14 with reiserfs support, which is
the bigger pain anyway (dancing the Reiserfs shuffle with large
filesystems).  Do that while the system isn't too populated, you can get
stuff on and off partitions readily.  The ext2 -> ext3 switch is a lot
easier to manage, I'll just have to build another kernel when 2.4.15's
out.

My current MO is to use ext3 for any FS < ~256 MB.  The 32 MB overhead
of reiserfs just cuts into storage too much otherwise, and doesn't buy
too much.  Larger filesystems (which I want to spell "feilsystems this
hour of the night, it's another "reiser" bug...) get reisered.  Seems to
be a good balance.

There's also a few new lightweight filesystems in 2.4, including a
couple of ROM fs's I'd like to mess with.

Peace.