Debconf problem - won't configure itself

Hi,

I've tried an update on my testing (Woody) machine.
Some packages won't configure though, because Debconf isn't configured yet.
But I can't configure Debconf.
I have all Perl 5.6 packages installed according to dselect

running: dpkg --configure debconf
results in the following:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
debconf: (DISPLAY problem?)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/share/debconf/frontend line 35.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/share/debconf/frontend line 74.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/share/debconf/frontend line 77.
Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
/usr/share/debconf/frontend line 93.
open2: exec of  failed at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/ConfModule.pm line 40
dpkg: error processing debconf (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
 debconf

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks in advance!
best regards,