Re: X-forwarding with ssh doesn't work

Tim Dijkstra, 2001-Nov-16 23:52 +0100:
> nate wrote:
>
> >Tim Dijkstra said:
> >

> >>debug1: Requesting pty.
> >>debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
> >>debug1: Requesting shell.
> >>debug1: Entering interactive session.
> >>
> >>Is that enough? Does anybody with X-forw working correctly gets the
> >>same  output?
> >>

> >pretty much. how bout when you start an X app?
> >
> >sample output from one of my servers:
> >admin@backup-wa:~$ xbrup
> >debug1: Received X11 open request.
> >debug1: fd 4 setting O_NONBLOCK
> >debug1: fd 4 IS O_NONBLOCK
> >debug1: channel 0: new [X11 connection from my.server.name port 3106]
> >(here i see the X app load on my local system)
> >

> I get no output at all. Think that's not good.
>
> I can't say much about your probs... my own are worse I think.
>
> Tim

I use ssh X-forwarding without a problem.  Here's what I do:

Scenario #1:
Laptop running potato/SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol
version 1.5.

Server running potato/SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol
version 1.5.

>From Laptop:
$ ssh -n -X Server xchat

This brings up 'xchat' running from Server onto Laptop

Scenario #2:
Same Laptop

Server running woody/OpenSSH_2.9p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0,
OpenSSL 0x0090602f

>From Laptop:
$ ssh -n -X -l user Server gkrellm -f

This brings up 'gkrellm' running from Server onto Laptop

Works like a charm...jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User