Re: "Linux window" in Windows

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 09:48:33PM -0500, JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:
> > Is there a way to access my linux partition and bootstrap Linux on top of
> > Windows? Such as, pop up a Linux window in Windows 98 that boots my kernel
> > from my Linux partition, without rebooting?
>
> VMWare would be the only way I know of doing this.
>
> http://www.vmware.com

VMWare doesn't run on Win98 hosts, only NT/2000/XP (and Linux). You could
run the Linux version of VMWare and boot Win98 in a window. This is fine
for things like office-type apps and network programs. More specifically,
you can't run games well in a guest Windows session running under VMWare
because of video, sound and joystick issues. Also, it costs US$300 and
their support is a joke. I run VMWare on Linux in the office with NT in a
virtual machine (in a window), and it's a lifesaver for me, but at home
I'd buy a second computer to run games and audio/video software. There is
a VMWare Express for Linux that is cheaper, but somewhat restricted.

...RickM...