Sound/video playback speed

As extensively chronicled in other threads, I just upgraded from a Cyrix
M2-300 based system to an Athlon 1.2 GHz.

One would expect this to speed things up.  I don't like the fact that it
sped up video and sound playback, though.  Sounds come out as hyperfast
bleeps, video looks like bad undercranked black and white stuff.

I don't see any global way to slow this down, and I'm seeing it with xanim,
mplayer, mtv, and RealPlayer.  Any suggestions?
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum