[SOLVED] Laptop ethernet dock and PCMCIA config

Hi all-

A while ago, I asked how to configure the ethernet
interfaces on a laptop such that if the system was
docked in its ether-enabled station, it should config
that interface and ignore any PCMCIA ethernet.  But
if out of its dock, it should check for the PCMCIA
ethercard and use DHCP to bring it up.  The ifupdown
suite seemed, at first glance, to be insufficient, primarily
because it uses the interfaces configuration individually
for each interface and thus the interface mapping
is not passed any broader context information.

Yesterday, I finally attempted to tackle this thing and
I have documented the solution at:

http://www.orthogony.com/gjw/lap/lap-ether-intro.html

It's also a tutorialish treatment of the ifupdown suite.

Peace,

  -=greg