Re: xscreensaver

On Friday 16 November 2001 00:08, Erik Steffl wrote:
> jeff wrote:

> > >   openGL xscreensaver hacks or all of them?
> >
> > what's the diff? for instance, i run bubble3d in a window and it looks
> > groovy. i run it fullscreen and it's slower than cold molasses...
>
>   openGL screensavers use DRI, the other screensaver only use 2d
> acceleration that is provided by X server. Depending on which
> screensavers do not work you can start to investigate one thing or
> another.
>
>   I guess you are talking about openGL stuff since bubble3d uses openGL.
> Just to verify: even if you maximize window (so that it is practically
> on the full screen) it is smooth, as opposed to fullscreen which is
> choppy, right?

ya ya...maximized looks fine but when, say, the screensaver naturally starts
up, the opengl stuff (bubble3d) is really slow. really slow.  :)  i don't
really care about screensavers mind you...i'm just trying to figure out why
it would do that...i want to develop my own opengl programs and something
silly like this would give me headaches for days.  :)

thanks again for the advice bub. keep it comin'!  :)

> > name of display: :0.0
> > display: :0  screen: 0
> > direct rendering: Yes
>
>   looks ok.
>
>   how do you run it fullscreen? if you just run it with -root option it
> is in root window and looks ugly (blinkig and choppy). Are you using
> xscreensaver to run it?

ya ya...the natural state screensavers look yucky...really slow and kind of
choppy.

--
Q:	What's buried in Grant's tomb?
A:	A corpse.