Re: OT: Hardware upgrades

On Thursday 15 November 2001 04:16 pm, Erik Steffl wrote:
> Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:
> >
> > I have just upgraded my box ( unstable about 3-4 months berhind on the
> > updates ).  The upgrade was from PII 233 BX chipset motherboard to Athlon
> > 1800+ XP VIA KT266A motherboard. The problem seems to be the following:
> >
> > 1. I cannot boot off the hard drive. It will see all the partitions and
> > system will work fine once booted from floppy/CDROM. It will install and
> > reinstall LILO without any problems. But every time I try to boot off of
> > HD I get there is not boot device insert bootable disk and press enter or
> > something. If anyone has any suggestions I would truly appreciate.
>
>   first the obvious: check bios settings,
>
>   now just slightly less obvious:  make sure lilo is installed on mbr
> (at least I think that's where it needs to be, check the docs for lilo)

my lilo is installed in /dev/hdc1.  win is on hda, as is the mbr, using a
third-party boot manager.  per the /etc/lilo.conf file   "Specifies the boot
device.  This is where Lilo installs its boot block.  It can be either a
partition, or the raw device, in which case it installs in the MBR, and will
overwrite the current MBR."

bob