Re: HD spin down with hdparm : HD always wakes up !!!

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:58:37 +0000, matthew@sackman.co.uk (Matthew Sackman) said:

 Matthew> Could I just ask, why do you want to enable spin down?
 Matthew> Hard discs consume the most power on start up. They also undergo the
 Matthew> greatest stress when spinning up. Therefore, if your disks keep having
 Matthew> to spin up, then you are actually not saving anywhere as much energy as
 Matthew> you suspect, and you are also reducing the life expectancy of your
 Matthew> disks.

Well, that's also to reduce the noise of my box... When I'm
working, it will spin down since I intensively use the disks, but
I want to leave it on when I'm AFK, and reduce both power
consumption and noise.

Anyhow, thanks to you all for the tips...

Here's what I've done (for anybody interested):
- prefix all /var/log/... with a "-" in /etc/syslog.conf
- apt-get installed and configured noflushd

Thanks Tom :-)

Cheers,

--
Dominique Deleris