Re: Scanner and OCR advice

On 14 Nov 2001, Andras BALI wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:34:24AM -0800, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>
> > > I've just received a grant for a project that will involve scanning and
> > > storing a substantial number (e.g., around 3000) of short documents. These
> > > documents will be analyzed as text, which means I'll have to use OCR
> > > software as well as a scanner with an automatic document feed.
>
> [...]
>
> > There is an OCR package from Mentalix called Pixel!FX.  It supports only
> > SCSI scanners, and I believe it is very expensive.
>
> Before spending lots of money, you may want to check `gocr' (apt-get
> install gocr) if it matches your needs. I found it suitable enough for
> scanning short (1-2p.) documents (and I assume it'd do the job for
> longer ones as well) and since it has a console interface, its usage
> can be easily automated (and even customized, thanks to the libgocr
> library).

Thanks for the suggestion of gocr; first impressions are very good,
especially if the file is converted with djpeg first.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]