G400

I have this Matrox G400 video card that's supposed to be really spiffy (or was, in it's day).
I'm just trying to confirm the support in X v4.

It seems that this card has taken a serious step back in basic performance. I'm not talking about frames/second, the basic picture is kind of lame. I have a 21" monitor and the whole thing worked great under 3.3.6 and even Windows (I had it installed for 3 days until I figured out I couldn't get all the devices to work correctly).

I'm just looking for 'similar experiences'