Re: OT: How long has your Linux system been up ?

>Just curious how long people have left their system running without reboot.

We had this question recently on my local Danish LUG.
Many people reported 400+ days uptime.
Noone reported the uptime interrupted my crashes. Everyone took their systems
down because of maintenance (like upgrading hardware).

I think the uptime counter counts up to 497 days, and then it starts all
over again. So currently we would not have any reports positively documenting
more than 497 days of uptime.
I read somewhere that the time is counted in "jiffies" where one second is
100 "jiffies".
With a 32 bit unsigned integer to count with that gives 497 days.
This question comes up quite often. IMO someone interested in measuring uptime
should beef up the counter with an extra 32 bits so we get a total of 64
bits.
Then we could measure uptime in thousands of billions of years.
That should be long enough for the next couple of generations. ;o)

Cheers :o)

Johnny :o)