Re: How do I set a domain name?

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 03:40:30PM -0600, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> > I do not have a registered domain name; I suppose I need to set something
> > fake like home.net.
>
> You could use your ISP's domain, but it tends to work better if you use a
> fake domain, like home.net or home.wxd or whatever.
                    ^^^^^^^^
That would be an astoundingly poor choice.

$ whois home.net

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

   Domain Name: HOME.NET
   Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
   Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
   Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
   Name Server: NS3.HOME.NET
   Name Server: NS4.HOME.NET
   Name Server: NS5.HOME.NET
   Name Server: NS6.HOME.NET
   Updated Date: 05-nov-2001

>>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 05:10:30 EST <<<

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .ORG, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

Found InterNIC referral to whois.networksolutions.com.

The Data in Network Solutions' WHOIS database is provided by Network
Solutions for information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining
information about or related to a domain name registration record.
Network Solutions does not guarantee its accuracy.  By submitting a
WHOIS query, you agree that you will use this Data only for lawful
purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this Data to:
(1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass
unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail
(spam); or  (2) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes
that apply to Network Solutions (or its systems).  Network Solutions
reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.  By submitting
this query, you agree to abide by this policy.

Registrant:
Home Network (HOME5-DOM)
   425 Broadway St.
   Redwood City, CA 94063
   US

   Domain Name: HOME.NET

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      DNS Administration  (DA24627-OR)  abuse@HOME.COM
      @Home Network
      425 Broadway St
      Redwood City , CA 94063
      US
      650-556-5399
      Fax- 650-556-6666
   Billing Contact:
      Du, Trung  (TD2157)  trung@CORP.HOME.NET
      @Home Network
      425 Broadway Street
      Redwood City, CA 94063-3126
      650-569-5437 (FAX) 650-569-5100

   Record last updated on 15-Mar-2001.
   Record expires on 19-May-2006.
   Record created on 18-May-1995.
   Database last updated on 14-Nov-2001 07:01:00 EST.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS3.HOME.NET			24.0.95.250
   NS4.HOME.NET			24.14.77.13
   NS5.HOME.NET			24.0.95.252
   NS6.HOME.NET			24.14.77.14

$ mx home.net
home.net            	MX	125 mx-d-rwc.mail.home.com
home.net            	MX	50 mx-rr.home.com
home.net            	MX	100 mx-b-rwc.mail.home.com
home.net            	MX	100 mx-a-east.mail.home.com
home.net            	MX	100 mx-b-east.mail.home.com
home.net            	MX	100 mx-c-east.mail.home.com
home.net            	MX	100 mx-a-rwc.mail.home.com

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.