Re: About the i586 / i386 ' optimized releases ' differences ?

No benchmarks on hand, but I can tell you the difference between them
is that the i586 distros (like Linux-Mandrake) are compiled using gcc's
optimizations.  Theoretically, using the most advanced instruction set
you can will improve performance, as newer chips do things like combine
multiple instructions into one (think MMX or 3DNow!).  However, trying
to run a kernel or app compiled for an i586 on an i386 (for example)
would probably result in horrible crashes (never tried it personally).

I do use the same optimizations when compiling a kernel by choosing the
architecture type during kernel config.  Again, I don't have any
benchmarks, but I can say that large amounts of disk access seems to
eat up less CPU.

Some people swear by it, others say it doesn't matter.  I for one would
be interested in benchmarks as well.

Mike