Re: mail

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 07:52:40PM -0800, Shawn Lamson wrote:
| Here's what happens...
|

| guest1@callerio:~$ mail -v guest2
| Subject: hi
| test message
| EOT
| LOG: 0 MAIN
|   <= guest1@callerio.piscat.nj U=guest1 P=local S=349
| guest1@callerio:~$ Exim version 3.12 debug level 1
| uid=8 gid=8
| probably Berkeley DB version 1.8x (native mode)
| delivering message 163r4N-00012x-00
| LOG: 0 MAIN
|   ** guest2@callerio.piscat.nj: unknown local-part
| "guest2" in domain "callerio"
| Exim version 3.12 debug level 1 uid=8 gid=8
| probably Berkeley DB version 1.8x (native mode)
| LOG: 0 MAIN
|   <= <> R=163r4N-00012x-00 U=mail P=local S=1180
| LOG: 5 MAIN
|   Error message sent to guest1@callerio.piscat.nj
| LOG: 0 MAIN
|   Completed
| Exim version 3.12 debug level 1 uid=8 gid=8
| probably Berkeley DB version 1.8x (native mode)
| delivering message 163r4N-00012z-00
| LOG: 0 MAIN
|   ** guest1@callerio.piscat.nj: unknown local-part
| "guest1" in domain "callerio"
| LOG: 0 MAIN
|   Frozen (delivery error message)

Exim is telling you it doesn't know who those users are in that
domain, thus it can't deliver.  Since the domain is effectively
localhost I would guess that you don't have local delivery configured.
Run exim-config (or whatever it is called, something similar) and try
reconfiguring it.

Taking a look at my /etc/exim/exim.conf I notice the following section:

---------------------------
# Specify your local domains as a colon-separated list here. If this
# option # is not set (i.e. not mentioned in the configuration file),
# the # qualify_recipient value is used as the only local domain. If
# you do not want # to do any local deliveries, uncomment the
# following line, but do not supply # any data for it. This sets
# local_domains to an empty string, which is not # the same as not
# mentioning it at all. An empty string specifies that there # are no
# local domains; not setting it at all causes the default value (the #
# setting of qualify_recipient) to be used.

local_domains = localhost:hudson

I think you will have to add callerio to local_domains.  Perhaps just
piscat.nj will suffice, I'm not sure.

HTH,
-D