Re: Tulip chip Netgear card

flonesaw@longship.net wrote:

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Debian, but not new to Linux.  In particular, I know about
configuring almost everything, but not much about the Debian way of doing
things.

I have a pair of Netgear FX-310TX NICs. (I'm uncertain of the precise model
number; neither card has a model stenciled on the card.)  The cards came in one
of those networking kits; the price was right so I bought it. The card is a PCI
card running the PNIC chip (marked LC82C169), which is a Tulip compatible.

Interestingly enough I just talked to someone this morning who was using these netgear 310's and had trouble with a new NIC, it turns out that it was a 311. The difference being that the card when from several physical IC packages to one larger one. That and it didn't work with the debian distro he was using (2.2r2).

He switched it out with an older 310 and was able to continue.

Maybe this is relevant, maybe not.
But if it is...
If you can get the raw tulip driver for this newer card, the compile the source and load it in during the installation. As some point you will be prompted if you have any special drivers to load from a custom floppy. It is here you bring out the new tulip driver and have at it. From there, I suspect you will want to upgrade to a really new kernel that carries the new tulip.o file and carry on from there.

At least that is what I would try...