Loopback interface still doesn't come up on boot

I've checked to make sure that support for this is in my kernel and it is
there; I realize it's not the same thing as loopback device support. I've
checked my /etc/network/interfaces, which I'm including here; I don't see
a problem with that but maybe  I'm missing something. Can anybody think of
anything else i should check to see what is keeping my loopback interface
from coming up?
Thanks.
Here is /etc/network/interfaces:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback
# ethernet interface
iface eth0 inet dhcp