Re: Total lockup with kernel 2.4.14

On 09 Nov 2001, David Rose wrote:
> Anthony Campbell in message Total lockup with kernel 2.4.14 (Fri, 11/09 16:32):
>
> > I had two lockups with kernel 2.4.12; I've just had another with 2.4.14.
> > I was online at all these times, using Acroread on the last occasion.
> > No key or mouse would work. The hard disk kept running.
> >
> > I think this may be a VM issue, because it doesn't seem to happen with
> > the Alan Cox patches.
> >
> > Anthony.
> This has happened to me twice at work using acroread (as plugged into Opera),
> and once at home using large fonts in the Gimp. After a reboot from the Gimp
> crash, I tried to use a large font again and hung X. Ctrl-Alt-BS got me out
> the second time, where it would not the first time.
>
> Both machines in question are 2.4.14 kernels.
>
> -David Rose
>

> --

Yet another lockup, this time using the Alan Cox v.7 version of 2.4.13.
Once again, it was during a download, but not a very big one.
This is really bad; I  used to boast that these things only happened
with W.....s but now they are happening frequently with Linux.

My swap space is hardly touched at all so it can't be that. I can only
think it's to do with VM.

I think I shall have to install ext3 because of these crashes, but they
are very bad news. Am I the only one getting this experience?

Anthony Campbell

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]