Re: Which installer? Aptitude, dselect deity...

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001 20:53:51 -0800
Craig Dickson <crdic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Since you recommended it, I installed and took a look at stormpkg. My
> first impression is that it doesn't give me as much information as
> dselect, and makes it harder to get at. For one thing, I have several
> Python packages marked "hold" currently because of the ongoing
> transition in Sid, but stormpkg doesn't show me that they're on hold.
> Also, like aptitude, stormpkg doesn't seem to call my attention to
> things that need upgrading the way dselect does; there's no single place
> where all the packages that can be updated are listed. Nor does stormpkg
> give me any indication of packages that are installed on my system, but
> which are no longer in the package repository.
>
> Am I just missing something here? If I can get these things from
> stormpkg, then fine, but if not, then I don't think much of it.

No, I don't think you are missing anything. I have no need for any of the
requirements you mention, so I find it excellent for my needs. I don't
think you will find any single utility which does everything you want.

All I ever do with apt-get is 'apt-get update', 'apt-get install xxxx' or
'apt-get -u dist-upgrade'. My needs are simple!!

I find GUIs for apt or dselect rather confusing - Gnome Apt is a nightmare
for me. I prefer the simplicity of Stormpkg - the only thing which comes
close is KPackage, but this is a front-end to dpkg rather than apt or
dselect.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Debian Linux