Re: 2 doubts

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 10:04:36PM +0530, shyamk@eth.net wrote:
> Dear members ,
>   I have 2 doubts :
> 1) How do you take lilo out of MBR in a fully functional  Win-Lin dual-boot machine ?
> 2) How do you write (manually) either the Win 98 boot loader or the Win 2K/Win NT
> boot loader
> to MBR ?
>
> Thanks ,
> (shyamk@eth.net)
> Shyam

Have a look at /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz:

[...]
Installation:

  - boot Linux.
  - make a backup copy of your MBR on a floppy disk, e.g.
     dd if=/dev/hda of=/fd/MBR bs=512 count=1
  - install LILO with the boot sector on the Linux partition.
  - install BOOTACTV as the MBR, e.g.
     dd if=bootactv.bin of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1
  - reboot.

Deinstallation:

  - boot Linux.
  - restore the old MBR, e.g.
     dd if=/MBR of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1
     or FDISK /MBR under MS-DOS.

If replacing the MBR appears undesirable and if a second Linux partition
exists (e.g. /usr, _not_ a swap partition), BOOTACTV can be merged with
the
partition table and stored as the "boot sector" of that partition. Then,
the partition can be marked active to be booted by the DOS-MBR.

Example:

# dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hda3 bs=512 count=1
# dd if=bootactv.bin of=/dev/hda3 bs=446 count=1

_WARNING:_ Whenever the disk is re-partitioned, the merged boot sector
on
that "spare" Linux partition has to be updated too.
[...]

Cheers

xio

--

GPG Keyid 0x0FCD0EE2
GPG Fingerprint C2FF 6147 0ADB 1674 4096  2339 370F CBDF 0FCD 0EE2

fortune - print a random, hopefully interesting, adage:

The water was not fit to drink.  To make it palatable, we had to add whiskey.
By diligent effort, I learned to like it.
		-- Winston Churchill