Building package caches not under Debian

I'm building on a non-Debian box a package cache of a subset of
testing to be used later to populate a base Debian install.
I've already ensured that the dependencies are satisfied locally.
I understand that apt needs Packages.gz files for the local cache.

My question is: can I use the corresponding Packages.gz files from
the testing archive for this purpose - this seems to be the least-
effort solution if it works - or will apt be confused by the
entries for packages not in the local cache (or by anything else)?
Note that at cache population time it's not easy to "just run apt-move".

Where can I find out exactly what apt requires of the local
Packages.gz files?

-D