Mail retrieval / delivery

Greetings,

I just had to resubscribe to all the debian mailing lists, due to too
many bounces. Not a happy camper.

This was (in part) due to the fact that mail tends to arrive at my ISP
when I am not at my box and able to retrieve mail; I also have a 5M
limit on mail held at my ISP. Although I delete messages from the
server when downloading them, the early morning hours tend to fill up
my box.

As I result, I need some ~concrete~ and ~specific~ guidance wrt a more
timely and automated method of retrieving and delivering mail.

I have several users on this box (2 room mates), each of us uses a
different method to read mail (KMail, Mozilla, Netscape), therefore any
system would have to be transparent to the other users.

I have RFM'ed and find that although all the components, ie, fetchmail,
sendmail, exim, etc. are well documented, they do not instruct the
average user (that ~must~ be the admin) how to combine all these tools.
I have also burned my eyes raw attempting to understand Petersen's
"Linux: Complete Reference (3rd ed)" to no avail.

My initial thoughts are that I should be able to configure fetchmail to
retrieve ~my~ mail (at first) and then use any mailer to read and send
mail. I'd also like to be able to use the ~internal~ mailing system to
receive logs and to send messages within my "home network".

Any useful instructions / pointers would be appreciated. I ~must~ be
able to set up my system as a mini-network. Future plans include the
purchase of othere boxes; it would be nice to be able to deal with
email on a truly multi-user system, while more than one person is on
the system.

Sorry for the long post.

TIA
C Masters