unstable: "could not open default font 'fixed'"

After restarting my computer to install a new kernel, X refuses to start.
I get:
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

This is the first time I've rebooted (or probably even exited X) in three
days, and I upgrade packages every day, so I'm not sure what caused it.  I
searched bugs.debian.org and mailing list archives, but no one else seems
to have the same problem.

Is this a problem I caused myself?  And if so, does someone know how I
might be able to fix it?  No errors (EE), notices (!!), or related
warnings (WW) are listed in the log.

Thanks.