Re: CD audio

When you play a CD, can you confirm that the activity light on the front
of the drive is lit or flashing?
Can you hear them if you plug headphones into the jack on the front of
the drive? After adjusting the volume dial on it?
Check your mixer settings (with a program such as gmix for gnome
environments, aumix for the console) to make sure that the sound card's
volume setting for the CD isn't zero, and that it's not muted.