Re: woody - problems with dns

On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 17:57, Steffen Evers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some problems with the DNS service on my woody system and I think
> I have experienced the same problems on my sid installation:
>
> Maybe I have misunderstood something, but I think this behavior is not
> correct:
>
> When I look for the hostname of my local machine with
>
> > host mymachine
> > mymachine does not exist, try again

Host should not look at your /etc/hosts file. It's one line description
puts it quite succinctly:

 host - query nameserver about domain names and zones

> > host localhost
> > localhost               A       127.0.0.1
>
> I have tried several alternatives in /etc/hosts, but it did not work:
> > 127.0.0.1   localhost mymachine
> or
> > 127.0.0.1   localhost
> > 127.0.0.1   mymachine
Mine looks like this for my machine with one interface:

127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.0.3	sandworm.lowerplanes	sandworm

For my gateway with a "static" DHCP assigned address (sterilized to
prevent spam/script kiddies trawling it anymore than they already do)
and a second card for the internal network:

127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.0.1     richese richese.lowerplanes
24.10.xxx.xxx   cbxxx-a cbxxx-a.rchstr1.mn.home.com

> It feels like that the /etc/hosts file is not used at all.

Right.

> However, the file /etc/nsswitch.conf does contain the line:
> > hosts:          files dns

>From the manpage:

hosts  Host  names  and  numbers, used by gethostbyname(3)
              and similar functions.

I'd have to scour the source of host to see if this is the expected
behavior.  I think the program should query nameservers directly since
that is it's intended purpose.

> Therefore I think everything is set up correctly, but still it doesn't
> work. I have never tried 'host mymachine' before. So, I do not really know
> if this behavior is new. However, my router is set to 'dial on demand' and
> I used to be offline for long periods, but now the router dials in because
> of the DNS query looking for mymachine after a few minutes. Therefore I
> guess this behavior has been introduced to my system by one of my regular
> package updates recently (1 week?).
>
> Hints, solutions, location for documentation, comments?

How many interfaces does this machine have?  Is it a gateway system for
the other machines in the network?  If so, do they have your
"myhostname" in /etc/hosts or does your local DNS have the correct
forward and reverse information for your "myhostname."  I run my own
internal DNS for my bogus domain lowerplanes.

> Should I send a bug report? To which package?

I don't think so but I could be wrong.

--mike