Re: sid mp3 woes

Hi Anthony

On 2001.11.05 17:39 Anthony Liu wrote:
On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 08:56:03PM -0600, David Rose wrote:
> I just installed sid on my IBM Thinkpad 560X, and had a hard time
getting
> sound to work. I've got it working now, but using XMMS or plaympeg,
I get
> a horrible static hiss rather than music. mpg123 sounds fine,
however. I
> really want to use XMMS because most of my music listening is done
via
> Shoutcast / IceCast streams.

Setup xmms to not use esound/esd: the output plugin should be OSS
driver.  There are at least 2 esd replacement in the works, one is
called asd.
Just out of interest, how is network-audio support shaking up for these
alternative sound deamons?  I ask, since I am right now listing to xmms
using networked esd to a underpowered (128kb takes 60% on that box) box
called nyquist, who sits under our hifi.

Esd's network features are, how shall we put it, basic...

Browny points for anyone guessing why its called nyquist :)