Re: Eterm weirdness (figured out)

Simon Law wrote:

|> 	Have you tried opening a plain old xterm?  What about your PS1?
|> Maybe your prompt is doing funny stuff.

Thanks for your reply, Simon.

The problem is unique to Eterm---nothing similar with xterm or with
rxvt (or in the console).

But it turned out that the problem was in .bash_profile. Ages ago I
put this into the file:

echo -e '\033[?17;0;64c'

(to control the terminal beep)
When I commented out that line, the problem disappeared.

I don't know why this version of Eterm (as opposed to earlier ones,
and as opposed to xterm and rxvt) was sensitive to this, but it was,

Jim