No umlauts with mutt

Hello everyone,
I got a weird problem with mutt (1.3.23-2). I am using xdm, I log into
as a user and windowmaker is started. When I start a terminal (e.g.
xterm or rxvt), umlauts are displayed correctly in mutt (and also in
other applications, like vim). Now I created a 'shortcut' (a dock-app)
to start mutt easier. I used 'xterm -name mutt -title mutt -e mutt' -
mutt is started correctly, but I do not have umlauts in the pager
anymore!

$echo $LC_CTYPE $LANG
de_DE.ISO-8859-1 C

Any hints? tia, jt.
--
"are you punk rock, are you strung out or are you just crazy?"
----> http://experimental.tammen.net