How does Ethernet device know address of transfer buffer

Hi,

I can successfully install the 3c905 Ethernet driver,
but I don?t know why it works. This proves I don?t know
what is going on. I hope that someone can offer some
light.

I use install parameters ?irq=11" and I don?t set an io
address. If I try fill in the address e.g. ?io=0x220" I
receive an error the param_io is invalid.

Don?t the irq number and the address of the buffer go
together? Doesn?t the os put data in a buffer before
sending, and then make in interrupt to tell the hardware
to come get it?

Can someone tell me where the buffer is and how linux
and the hardware agree on its address?

Gary Setter