Re: v2.4.14 kernel compile problem

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 02:11:52PM +0800, Patrick Cheong Shu Yang wrote:
> Another one of those release many and release quick again....
>
> Uuughh...
>
> I remember someone once said regarding the impending release of 2.4.0
> and why it was taking so long...that Linus just has much higher
> standards...oh oh...this is definitely not in the correct direction in
> support of the previous comment...

The thing is that they tried to accomplish ALOT in 2.4... everything
that they did is good and will lead to the linux kernel being a
genuinely excellent kernel that can rightly compete with commercial
unices, but all of the changes has introduced some new bugs that need
to be worked out. The thing is, do you want a super stable toy kernel
that works well for hobbyists and low-end desktop machines (one that is
simple but inefficient)? Or do you want a kernel that strives to be the
best... one that runs efficiently and well even under high load? The
2.2 series is quite stable, but it cannot compete with most commercial
unices or even freeBSD on high end machines, while the 2.4 kernel has
gone a long way towards being able to do so. But high end power and
efficiency comes at the cost of much greater complexity, which is that
much harder to maintain flawlessly. Also keep in mind that 2.4 is being
actively worked on (despite it's declaration of being stable), and so
it cannot be counted on to run perfectly just yet. Give it some time...
Linus' standards are both high and ambitious, and when the smoke clears
the kernel should be really top notch.

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com

"Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running
 taxicabs or cutting hair." -George Burns