Re: supported hardware

 said:
> Hi,

> In the near future I´ll try to install debian linux 2.2 on my pc
> but in advance I need help about supported hardware. This month I
> would like to buy a new graphiccard and a dvd-drive. The problem is
> to find the right ones which are supported / recommended for use
> with debian linux 2.2. You can write suggestions in english or
> german to wernschn@freenet.de.

depends on your needs. for hardcore desktop stuff i can't reccomend
the Matrox G400 any higher. im shocked on how stable and fast
it is. my machine at the office(on it now) has been up for 172 days
and only restarted last to move to a new office. i used to have
to restart X twice a month because it would have a pretty bad
memory leak which would make X real slow after about 150 apps
open(~120MB X memory usage) X 4.1 has improved a lot, my X
memory usage is ~200MB and i don't see slowdown yet.

i upgraded from potato to woody about 6 weeks ago on this system,
no problems yet. potato ran rock solid on it as well. you can
see what i mean by intensive desktop use by a look at a screenshot:
http://mars.aphroland.org/pics/x-desktop-11-05-2001.jpg

if you want games you probably want to go for an nvidia card
of some sort. but be aware to play games you'll need their
kernel driver which may cause problems(i haven't had any serious
problems on my nvidia at home yet).

i don't have a dvd and will never get one so i can't reccomend
any.

soundcard my favorite is soundblaster pci 128($30). the OSS
drivers in the kernel work perfectly(2.2 kernel) ive never had
a problem. network card either eepro100 or 3com 3c905B/C-TX are
my choice cards.

good luck .......!

nate