Audio S/PDIF out on Trident & OSS/Free

I just upgraded my Debian system to testing + the 2.4.12 kernel,
and now I can't get any audio to play on my Trident sound card's
S/PDIF out port.  The analog output works perfectly.

I looked over the kernel source, and at first glance, it appears
to me that the OSS/Free drivers simply do not support S/PDIF out
on the 4DWave NX?!  Only the Alsa drivers do??  That can't be...
I must be misunderstanding something here.

Does anyone know of a mailing list (other than linux-kernel :)
where I could ask this question?  Thanks,

    - Scott