Re: some questions (after a HD crash)

On Sunday 04 November 2001 15:21, Darren Wyn Rees wrote:
> My little box crashed yesterday.  The hard disk started making
> a repetitive whining, metallic noise.

Welcome to the world of dieing IBM as experenced by me 8 times.

> The hard disk is an IBM 40GB.  Not sure of the model, but it's
> only about 4 months old, so I should be able to return it under
> the guarantee.

Well if it's the 7k2 rpm drives GPX75's are notoriously bad for reliablty &
I've found that GPX60's need to be in the direct flow of air from a fan other
wise they tend to over heat.

> What is the best way to WIPE data on the disk ?

IBM ain't gonna go in for data recovery, so you'd probably get away with just
a format of the partitions. If you're paraniod about it try:
* Boot up on a floppy
* Delete & reparition using diffrent partiton sizes
* Format the partions
* Delete all the partitions

Ani