Re: help needed with startx

> hello,
> i am having problems with installing and running the x windows environment. i have purchased the book "Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 Unleashed" and with it i recieved a cd which included debian on it. i have previously installed debian, and x windows, on 2 machines using the "advanced linux pocketbook" cd's. this has worked without a hich. but using this new cd i have had the problem of:
> when i type in startx after login i recieve the following message:
>
> Could not find config file!
> Tried:
>     /root/XF86Config
>     /etc/X11/XF86Config
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config.Charge (user)
>     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xf86Config
>
> Fatal server error:
> No config file found!
>
> X11TransSocketUNIXconnect: Can't connect: errno = 111 giving up
> xinit:    Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
> xinit:    No such process (errno 3): Server error.
>
> can you please tell me what i need to do to fix this problem, i have re-installed it 3 times differently and each time it was said the same thing. if you could email me back at: the_canadian_man007@hotmail.com with an solution that would be helpful.
>
> thanks.

And are you sure  you have succesfully generated XF86Config? That means
have you run xf86config (it is program which configures x server and
generates that file)
hope it helps...
--
I am Martin Kacerovsky, student of the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics
at the Charles University in Prague, in the Czech Republic, in Europe,