Re: debconf hosed after cold boot and fsck

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
> Bill Wohler wrote:
> >   A cold boot and a manual fsck later, dpkg is rife with errors. Here
> >   are some sample errors, followed by the files in /lost+found. Any
> >   suggestions for proceeding would be appreciated.
> >
> > [root@olgas:531]# dpkg-reconfigure debconf
> > Use of uninitialized value in exists at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29.
> > Use of uninitialized value in exists at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29.
> > Use of uninitialized value in length at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 139, <GEN1> line 3.
> > Use of uninitialized value in exists at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Template.pm line 49, <GEN1> line 6.
> > Use of uninitialized value in exists at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29, <GEN1> line 6.
> > Can't call method "choices" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 77, <GEN1> line 6.
>
> You can probably fix the immediate problem by zeroing out every .dat
> file in /var/cache/debconf.

  After doing that, there were some segmentation violations during the
  first pass of "apt-get upgrade", but I was running with
  Dpkg::Options="--debug=03" which may or may not have anything to do
  with it. A subsequent "apt-get install -f" finished the job with no
  errors.

  Thanks for your usual dead-on analysis, Joey, and your suggestions,
  Mark.

> I'd appreciate it if you could send me a tarball of the directory before
> you wipe them out though.

  Coming soon in another envelope.

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!