Re: debconf hosed after cold boot and fsck

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 08:34:36AM -0800, Bill Wohler wrote:
>   Thanks Mark. Unfortunately (fortunately?), "apt-get install -f
>   debconf pcmcia-cs" says that there is nothing to be done. It is when
>   I run another apt-get command (say, apt-get upgrade) which pukes
>   during the preconfig.

Second pass:  Download the .deb's for pcmcia-cs and debconf, and use
dpkg directly.  You might have to use your --force-depends idea, but
provided that you are in single user mode when you're doing all of this,
and provided you re-install the thing you forceably removed, you should
be okay.

However, I think that dpkg will let you re-install a package over an
existing package of the same version number.

>   Without more information, I feel my only recourse is to do "apt-get
>   remove debconf" and reinstall it, along with the 100 or so other
>   packages that depend on it. Or, perhaps use dpkg --force-depends to
>   remove just debconf, or would I then be screwed?

I don't think you need to remove all of debconf's dependencies, just
debconf itself.